Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'm feeling a little random today, so I shall talk abit about poetry.

Poetry needs soul. It needs emotion to drive it, whether its a cathartic listnessness, or full-blown angst, poetry without this is just words randomly thrown into a few lines. This was one of the chief reasons why watching poetry slam a few weeks back made me cringe. Alot.

How can someone presume to write a poem about loss and separation and make it work (phwoar without you), if they have no idea what it feels like? Sure, there's TV and songs, but as to the validity of the entertainment industry as a good teacher of emotion, I leave you to decide. Writing about things you simply don't know about; I'm sorry but it just doesn't work.

I used to detest poetry, but a good one is to be savoured.







Rediscovery is the keyword here. I'm holding out for meaning.

No comments: