Sunday, December 31, 2006

Bangkok Bombings

I guess this will be my second last post of 2006. Originally I wanted to just do a reflection of my whole year, but something just seems more pertinent at the moment, so that will have to wait for a little bit.

Of course, I'm referring to the Bangkok bombings that just happened earlier today. Heard about the news only around an hour ago, and whatever revelling mood I was in rapidly dissipated. (Not that I was really in any mood for partying anyway.)

6 bombs. 12 confirmed dead. I don't know about the injury count, but either way the situation is bad enough as it is.

Isn't the turn of the year a time when we can just look back upon the year that has passed, and remark either "Hey what a good year 2006 has been, hope 2007 will be even better!" or "Hey 2006 has been a really lousy year, hope 2007 will be better!". Either way, the turn of the new year signifies hope. Hope that no matter what the past has been, that the future will be even better. But I guess this year we were all cruelly reminded just how fragile our lives can be, and how untenable the world is today.

I think that this news may have hit me particularly hard because alot of people that I know and care about have been to Bangkok just recently for the holidays, and I realize that the bombings could have happened at any time. The reality of it just hits home. And I'm really thankful that everyone has returned safely.

But...I don't know. Is it the right way to feel? When people have already died over at Bangkok? It just feels really dirty to think thoughts like these. But with the world as it is, I guess it's something I'll have to get used to. Sigh. Will be back in a bit with my concluding post.

No comments: